While I was gone, I was nominated for the Liebster award. I have been nominated fa few times before, but I don’t think I have ever participated. (Yes, I know…… teamwork, sharing, etc) This time I was nominated by the wonderful Mrs. Mathis who I got to know during the Autism AwarenessBlog hop. I figured this would be a great opportunity to for my readers(especially all the new ones, Welcome!!) to know more about me.
So, what exactly is the Liebster Award all about? "Liebster" is a German word that means dearest, lovely, beloved and welcome. To accept the nomination, I must:
- Link back to the blog that nominated me.
- Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers.
- Answer the questions posted for you by your nominator.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Create 11 questions for your nominees.
- Contact your nominees and let them know you nominated them.
- How long have you been teaching?
- I have wanted to be a teacher since kindergarten. I was exposed at an early age (Thanks mom!) to children and adults with disabilities which fueled my desire to teach special education. I believe every person has the ability to learn and we need to figure out how to help them learn.
- Athletic trainer or physical therapist
- Creating things on the computer, learning new things, reading, going to garage sales & thrift stores
- I am currently reading Paradise Falls. Not a favorite, but I am into it. I think it creeps me out a bit because it hits close to home with child abductions (something I worry about) and on of the girls abducted is named Caitlin.
- A book that was written just for me by one of my Dad’s friends called The Wolf Tree. I have recently started reading it to my kids.
- My favorite is my Dad. He belongs to a duo called Turngren & Young. My dad has always sang and inspired my love of music (More about that later!). They have no recordings though so when I can’t hear them live then I like to listen to the Jack Johnston station on Pandora. I find all of that music relaxing.
- My students and children. Over the past 9 years (7 of them I have been a mom), I have learned so much about laughter, mistakes, and life.
- Wow, that is hard one. I had a few inspiring teachers. Mrs. Sherman, my kindergarten teachers inspired me to be a teacher and continues to inspire me to this day. Mr. Z, my band director in middle and high school always encouraged me even though I was FAR from the best marcher or flute players.
So now for 11 random facts about me:
- I am a band geek. I play 5 instruments (or I did). Flute, piccolo, melophone, French horn, and cello. I also attempted the trombone.
- On that same note I am a brother in the honors band Fraternity Kappa Kappa Psi. I was in the marching band from 8th grade through college. I was also in concert band, honors band, sprit band, and whatever other band i could be in.
- I balanced all of that band with sports. I played soccer, softball, and basketball.
- Not all of you know this, some might, but I am a Jersey Girl. I may live in VA, but I will always be Jersey Strong.
- I wear a size 12 shoe and have since 6th grade. When I was in 6th grade, a shoe salesman told my mom to take me to a store that sells women's shoes for men (yes, men) in NYC.
- I don’t get football. I have been watching it for over 15 years due to marching band and my husbands love for it. (Go Redskins!) It doesn’t make sense to me.
- Cooking and I do not work, yet, I teach cooking to my students. That is why we stick to the basics. Making Jell-O, mixing lemonade, nothing with real cooking involved.
- My husband and I met on Match.com almost 7 years ago. I thought he was too good looking to ever want to go out with me. (Shh, don’t tell him that!)
- I grew up on a Christmas tree and pumpkin farm. I can cut down and bail trees with the best of them.
- As a kid I had a huge crush on Doogie Howser, M.D. aka Neil Patrick Harris.
- Gosh, this is hard thinking of 11 things…. hmmmm… I LOVE coffee. I never write about it, but I have coffee every morning, to the point where the office staff at school teases me.
Here are the fantastic blogs I am nominating. You should check them out!!
Empowering Great Minds
Teaching Through Turbulence
The Autism Classroom Project
The Autism Tank
Mrs. Shelton’s Kindergarten
Fifth is Fabulous
Now for the 11 questions:
- What do you teach?
- Where did you go to college?
- What is your favorite book?
- What is you favorite place to get clipart from?
- What do you like to do outside of school stuff?
- Where would your dream vacation spot be?
- If you won a million dollars what would you do with it?
- If you were not a teacher what would you do?
- What is your favorite blog to read (besides your own of course!)?
- What is your favorite food?
- What is your least favorite drink?