In March of this year, I wrote my very first DonorsChoose proposal for a color printer so I could create colorful visual supports in my classroom. Within 2 hours of my project going live, it had been fully funded. Within 3 weeks, I received my printer. Well, that started a whirlwind of ideas for other projects. I immediately started writing new proposals and since March, I have written 6 more. Of the 7 proposals I have written these past few months, 5 have been fully funded and the other two have been partially funded! Some of the other items I have gotten from DonorsChoose include over $300 in therapeutic art supplies, math and language arts centers, an X-Box with Kinect, and supplies to support a student led recycling center. I have done the math, and to date I have had over $1500.00 worth of materials and supplies donated to my classroom! So, needless to say, I have experienced great success with DonorsChoose and would love to see more teachers utilize this spectacular resource.
Here’s how to start and if you need a little more in depth help go here http://www.donorschoose.org/docs/DonorsChoose.org_Submit_a_Project_Tutorial.pdf
- Go to DonorsChoose.org and create a teacher’s account and upload a classroom profile picture.
- Use your start up points to submit a project that is under $400. These have the best chances of being fully funded.
- Think of a creative and catchy title that will grab the reader’s attention.
- Go shopping!! DonorsChoose has partnered with School Specialty, Lakeshore, Nasco and several others of our favorite teacher catalogues. Keep the items student centered!!!
- Summarize your request. Explain why your students need the items your requesting.
- Tell your story. This is the part where you describe your students and how these items will help your class. Remember to write well and from the heart!
- Lastly, you are going to provide some simple project details and then quantify the impact.
- Be sure to look for Partner Funding opportunities! These are companies or other charitable foundations that want to help! 4 of my projects have been helped through Partner Funding!!
From start to finish, creating a project usually takes me 20-30 minutes. I LOVE DonorsChoose and I know that you will too!!! Good Luck and let me know how you do! If you have any questions, please let me know!!